Thursday, March 17, 2011

Chapter One- The First Alex

    Al

      I fell asleep. That's all I know. I was dying. That seemed to come back to me as well. Where I was, someplace dark, because always in my mind, even though sorrow can be in the most beautiful dreams and be hiding in the depths of nightmares, I would picture it as dark. I was leaning there, on a wall.... in an alley.... and I was covered in blood. No, wait, no I wasn't.
     "Al, Al!" chanted a voice that was all too familiar, and I opened my eyes to the dark room that seemed just as familiar as well. What I always remembered first about it when I woke was, you couldn't even see what it looked like, it was everything, unless you want it to be something. Which happened to manifest into a dark-colored room, that seemed oddly bright, but not. The girl who was my age had her arms draped around my shoulders protectively, and I scooted back with the chair I was sitting in a few feet away from her. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat, looking at her, or, in other words, looking back at me. I just happened to be more.... boyish.
      "Alexandra." I mumbled. "Don't, just DON'T do that. It's so weird!" I exclaimed. "It's like I'm hugging myself!" I added, and Alexandra just shuffled her feet. You might be confused here, so I will explain this part, but I'll save the rest for later. You see, there are seven of me. Seven Alex's. I used to be just one, but now I'm seven, each one of me taking on a certain trait that seemed dormant, or not, in my mind. Alexandra happened to be my 'girly, caring side.' I seemed the opposite. I'm not going to say 'cold-blooded killer' or anything like that, I'm just more of a guy. But I'm not a guy... but I am..... you see? You're confusing me too. Let's just say, that some of me are guys, and some are girls. I'll explain all of them later, but I have a WIDE variety of personality as you can see, both a masculine and a feminine.
     "Okay, Okay." Alexandra huffed, and I just shook my head back and forth, causing my some of my long shaggy hair to get into my face, so I tried unsuccessfully to blow it off, but it just flopped back onto my eyes, annoyingly obscuring my vision, so I had to use my hands. Too much work, I thought, amused.
     I sighed, telling her, "I HAD to go into that dimension (don't ask yet),  and it's not like I would've died anyway, I CAN'T" I told her, with a tone that sounded like I was talking to a five-year-old. "Out of ALL the others, why did you have to stay? I would've had much more fun with Lee, or even Ecks!" I said. Alexandra made a "tch" noise and replied, "Well, I would've preferred to hang out with some-one else, too, of course." I was about to open my mouth to shoot back at her when she cut me off. "Lee, Ecks, and Sandra were going to find you, and to bring your but back here." Alexandra glared at me pointedly. "Adrian went out to a forest somewhere, you know how he is." Yeah, another thing, Adrian is very 'peaceful'. "And we haven't seen Alexis for days!" She exclaimed, her face that was also mine stayed the same but her hair changed from blonde, to red, to charcoal black, and back again to brown. My hair was always dirty blonde, but Alexandra's hair seemed about as consistent as the room. I threw back my head with a heavy sarcastic, heavily annoyed, laugh.
       "What do you think I've been trying to TELL YOU! Alexis could be anywhere! She could have been in that one dimension, that's why I was there!" I exclaimed. A majority of the seven of us seemed to have short tempers, which seemed to be a heavy trait at that, but Alexandra backed off calmly. "Alright, Alright. Sorry, didn't know." She said, already as calm as a breeze while I was still fuming even though I didn't want to. I started to feel jealous of Alexandra's more controlled emotions. I shook it off immediately.
    Suddenly, of course with a loud bang and a flash of what seemed like lightning, Sandra was back. Making an even bigger appearance today then yesterday. I mentally rolled my eyes at that thought, and Sandra had short, cropped up hair and was wearing black from head to toe. Like with Alexandra, she was the same person, but different. She carried that serious expression on her face that NEVER, ever came off and she seemed to be one knife short on her belt.
      "Hey, Al. Decided to SHOW UP?" she said sarcastically. "Yes." I practically hissed. "Looking for Alexis which you should have ASSUMED!" I growled, and unfortunately Sandra had a temper like mine, and we happened to be nose to nose, identical greenish-blue eyes glaring at one another. Alexandra looked away, knowing how this was going to end up, and buried her head in a copy of Twilight that was conjured out of thin air.
        "Next time, TELL US! We could've helped, that dimension that you seemingly "stumbled onto" was WAY rougher than the others we've searched. Did you want to get yourself-" "killed." I finished for her, again rolling my eyes.
         "You, and You. Shut up, and move away from each other." another voice seemed be there and Lee standing between us, the short black haired, big headphone wearing, modern New-York loving version of me. I stopped automatically, grinning at him.
         "What ever you say, your Lee-ness." I said, and Lee crossed his arms, and I noticed he was wearing a dark grey sweater that would easily blend in with a crowd. "Happened to be be chilling at the wee old coffee shop around the corner in Times Square?" I taunted, and Lee grinned back, and Sandra stepped aside, still serious, but I could see the anger was diminished. "Oy, where's your mighty cuts and bruises, oh adventurous one?" Lee said back. Then, looking a little more serious, he said, "Yeah, I had a feeling you would get ourself into something like that, but c'mon, Sandra. Chill out. Drink some-" "Coffee." Me, Sandra, and Alexandra finished for him in unison, and we all seemed to crack up, the Twilight book that Alexandra was reading momentarily forgotten by her. Once we've calmed down, I cleared my throat.
      "Anyways, on more serious matters, we need to get some more searching done tonight, so Lee." I said, looking at, probably, my favorite other me. "Come with?" I asked, and Lee shrugged nonchalantly, but with a slight puff of smoke, we both vanished from the room, leaving Alexandra and Sandra to argue about their books of preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment