Saturday, May 7, 2011

Chapter Eight- The Eighth Forbidden Thought

         Kari


    What seemed like days, but only a few hours passed by. The air was less musty, signaling that we were a little bit closer to the end of the forest. A cooler wind blew by, and I knew there must be a small lake somewhere close. Still dragging Alex along by his hand, I was yanked to stop. I looked back with a confused stare. He was perfectly still, faced one direction, peering through the trees. He didn't say anything for about 10 minutes, but I just stood there waiting, looking at the undergrowth with a bored gaze.
     "Do you feel that?" He finally asked. "From that direction." He said, pointing towards the direction that I had indicated the lake was in. I threw my senses toward it, and opened my eyes in shock at the time energy that seemed to clog up my mind. I shook my head to clear it, and Alex took off towards it, excitement in his eyes.
   What does he think he's doing!?!? I thought, running after him. Doesn't he know what he's facing?!?!  We reached the lake, and he looked back at me, grinning. It was small, but peaceful looking. Green trees stretched in an expanse around it, and small shores of sand were at it's rim. But this was only it's physical form. I could barely stop from collapsing as I first got the feel of the feed of dark energy that was radiating from the lake. Alex motioned with his hands for me to stay there, and I did so, but rolled my eyes. He winked, crouching at the very edge of the lake. Slowly he poked the green-blue surface.One small ripple appeared, and then silence. It seemed like the whole forest was void of noise. But I could feel the blast of magic that came from Alex, pressing on the walls of my mind. Then the atmosphere turned to it's opposite. With a splashing war, the water seemed to rush out of the lake and into the air, and over a dozen Strays were revealed. Alex opened his eyes, which were now pitch black. The Strays, finally noticing, flashed forward with a storm of dark matter and water. He continued on grinning, disappearing, reappearing in a nearby tree, looking more different then ever as dark magic shrouded him, and he leaped off the tree and into the air, a the darkness shooting off him like a hailstorm of bullets, driving a few of the Strays away. And I thought he was powerful before.... wow....
     I wasn't going to sit there and do nothing, though, so I ran forward and shot waves of energy. They hit the Strays head on, blasting some backward, but the force blasted me backward, against a tree, reopening old wounds.
   Lucky it's a black shirt so the blood won't mess it up.... Was somehow my only thought as I opened my eyes, dizzy, to see Alex crouching by me, his eyes no longer black.
        He grinned. "Was that fun or what? They're all gone now." Alex said. "No, you and I both could've gotten killed!" I growled, standing up and using the shell of the tree for support. Alex already pulled me away from the tree, and his hands moving underneath my arms and to my back, and the tingly warmth that spread through me let me know he was healing me. I still had to resist the urge to punch him in the face, though.
     You didn't have to do it that way....  I thought, but forgot about it. He moved away, letting go. "Better?" "Yeah, sure, whatever." I grumbled. "Let's get out of here, and never, ever, do that again." I said, and once again dragged him along by his hand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   The sun had long set by the time we were closer to the edge of the forest. "Stupid head." I muttered, looking at Alex, on the ground. "I'd break that spell if I could..." I trailed off. Speaking of spells... what's happening to me?  I thought. I keep feeling like I'm me one second, and then someone else later. After hours of thinking about it, I finally did something. Out of pure curiosity, I walked over to the closest stream, crouching by it and peering into it. Looking into the moonlit stream, I jumped in surprise at the reflection that wasn't mine. That girl again! What was wrong with my head?!? I backed up, my back hitting a tree, and all was black.

   Alexis


   All used to be fuzzy the past few days, but then it suddenly got clear. I was able to feel again, feeling detached from Kari. I seemed to walk out of Kari's living body, looking at my hands in astonishment. "How... did I get out...." I wondered aloud, and looked back as there was a half-transparent hand gripping mine. I pulled Kari's spirit from her body, and she looked at me, confused.
  "What's going on?"

    Kari 


    I narrowed my eyes at the girl, confused in suspicious. Did she pull my spirit from my body? I looked at her again.
    "You seem familiar." I said. The girl rolled her eyes. "Of course I do. I'm Alexis." Alexis said, and my eyes widened in shock, I took a few steps back.
    "Alexis?! The one who's been missing?" I asked. "Yes." she said. A part of Alex... I thought. Then I felt this strange emotion, a longing.  The spell must not work on my spirit, only when I'm in my body....
    "Where have you been?" I asked warily. "Attached to you in here." She said, pointing to my head, and for a moment she looked exactly like Alex, grinning and everything.
      "What-" "I prefer to look like myself, thanks much." Alexis said. "Not a girl and stuff. It gets awkward. I don't know how Sandra and Alexandra stand it. Even though they are me." The other Alex muttered. "And I like to be called just Alex." the other Alex said, leaning up against a tree, crossing his arms. "But don't tell me that." He said, looking at Alex's body. "And you don't know where the others are, so you can't tell them, anyways. When I'm not whole, I can't remember everything that happens when I split apart. I at least know that." other Alex said. "And certainly not what goes down in this part." He said, pointing to his head. "Wow... I look dead." He said. "You do too." he said, looking at my still body that was sprawled out next to an old tree. Whoa.... I do... I thought.
        "But why would you do this?" I asked, snapping out of my thoughts. "It's not like your gaining anything.... for yourself, anyway." I told him.
      "Oh, but I am." he said, a mischievous glint in his eyes. But it soon vanished into seriousness. "It's a long, and complicated story that I can't tell you about." He said, and then changed the subject.
      "But c'mon, let's go." He said, holding out his hand expectantly. "Go where?" I asked, confused. "On a 'spirit journey.'" He said, winking as we whisked off into the forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment