Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Chapter Five: The Fifth Flashback

    Kari


      I was a blur as I ran down the fields and over the hills that lead to King Waru's Castle. Of course, there was a quicker way to get there, through the city, but I really didn't feel like having a run in with any Strays. They seemed to trail after me more often over since the hunt for the powerful Sorcerer named Alex began. I suspected it was was my father's work, the Royal Tracker. He was, as well, the King's close friend and trusted ally. For me, I'm recognized s a fine huntress for tracking down other sources of magic that the King would add to his "collection." I thought back to that day I actually met Alex, a few months ago....
      
            I had been chasing Alex through the forests of the kingdom, the strays had fallen behind, not being able to catch up to my magic-enhanced speed. It was up to me now, and I was ready. I proceeded to cut Alex off towards the southern edge of the forest, and realized I must have succeeded. Or so I thought. Alex seemed to appear out of no where, grinning and panting at the same time.
     "Hi, there!" he said. "That was great!" he exclaimed. "You're definitely a challenge." he said, his breath catching up to him. I glared at him in outrage.
    "You think this is a GAME!?!?" I growled. He casually leaned against a nearby tree, hands in his pockets. Looking at him more closely, I noticed that his clothes seemed so different from the inhabitants of Waru's kingdom.
       Not letting Alex answer, I went straight on on. "I am instructed to turn you in, straight to King Waru." I threatened. He just smiled at me.
     "Now, I know you won't do that." he said. "You're too nice." Nice?!?! NICE?!?! the thoughts of outrage screamed in my head, and I was surprised Alex couldn't hear them.
      I seemed to cool off, quickly going over things in my head. If he was just biding time, let him. I thought.
 "Waru doesn't need you alive, either! I can just kill you and bring your body straight to him!" I yelled, but then yelped in undisguised surprise. Alex, no longer leaning on the nearby tree, had his arms wrapped around me in a tight hug. I seemed to go in a state of shock, and after a few seconds a thought finally registered in my mind. Does this fool even value his life?! I tried to yell a few cursed at him, to get him off me so I could restrain him, but air just puffed out of my mouth instead of words. Alex had put a spell on me! A powerful one at that. But that was the last thought I thought at that moment because I gave way to the dizzying blackness that crashed down on my mind.
       Not knowing how long it had been, I was finally able to think and open my eyes, checking my surroundings. I seemed to be in the same spot that I was standing in before, only laid upon the ground.
    "That was a lot of influence that ol' Waru had on you, but luckily I was able to lift it. Half-way, at least." Alex's voice came from that same tree he was leaning on before, yet now he was sitting under it. I got up instantly, but didn't seem to find anything threatening or aggressive to say to Alex for putting that spell on me. But then I seemed to speak one word.
    "Inflence?" I asked. "Yes, a strong but not very affective spell, you probably didn't even notice it." Alex replied. "You'll have a much nicer mind without it." he said with another grin..
     "You.... you hugged me." I said, somehow with no disgust in my voice even though I tried to layer it heavily. Alex didn't seem to be phased.
     "Yeah, you'll get used to it." Alex said, and winked.

  He seemed to convince me to help his so easily. He could've put me under a spell of some sort, back those months ago casting a spell on me instead making up a story of breaking one that somehow Waru had cast on me. I shook my head from the crystal-clear memory that played in my head, realizing I was standing on the last hill to the castle, and from the feeling of my face I could tell it went red. And with that, I proceeded to the castle, guards and Strays now watching my every move....

   Alex 


    I sat in the temple, not saying a word, as I waited for Kari to come back. "I know she thinks that I am mind-controlling her-" I chuckled at the thought of me doing something like that. "-but in reality, she just has a good heart." I said to myself. "It's so strange, we both seem to talk to ourselves. Sometimes, I seem to talk to seven others." I said, chuckling again. "It hurts me to see her almost torturing herself just because...." I trailed off. There was no end unspoken to that sentence either, because I didn't not know it. I eyed the shackles laid on the floor.
   "I will never know, but only guess what her intentions are."

"So let me escape you, waking world,
I have grown tired of endless worry.
Send me into an unending sleep,
Those who live short must hurry."

I said the poem aloud, almost involuntarily. I didn't remember where it came from, but I liked it. It reminded myself of, well, me. Being tired of the world and escaping it. Did that make me a coward? I didn't know. Even if I could put a stop to the spell, without Lexus, I would certainly die

No comments:

Post a Comment