Thursday, March 24, 2011

Chapter Three- The Third Rescuer

    Al

     As we took off running down a hill into a random town, making sure we conjured the appropriate wear, we headed towards the center. Alexis had to be there. The town was very quiet, not many people stirred on it's streets. It took me a second to realize that it was abandoned.
     "I guess it would be easier to find Alexis this way..." I muttered, but it still gave me an uneasy feeling. Those thoughts aside, I scanned the streets, Adrian and Lee flanking me. We stood there in the middle of a dusty intersection for the longest time, not moving and not making a sound. The sky grew a bit lighter by the time we heard something. One, ragged exhale. And then there were Strays flashing through the streets. Dark, slightly humanoid forms that usually stayed in the space out of existence, they were still blurry to look at them, in the sense that you couldn't look at them too long, something made you look away. They trailed away, leaving wisps 
of black and red cloud behind them, which vanished after a second or two. All three of us looked exchanged one look, and we were off running.

        Adrian
      
     One second, we were running down more alleyways (of course) following Strays, hoping them to lead us to Alexis. Next thing I know, a hand clamped down on my mouth, and I was dragged away, Lee and Al too intent on the chase to notice my absence.
       Fiery shots of light shot from my hand to the arm that was holding me around the waist, but it seemed to have no effect. And all-too-familiar voice hissed in my ear.
   "Stop struggling if you want to live." Adrian stopped immediately. He was dragged into a dark building, though light was starting to filter through the cracks of the roof. I turned around, shocked.
    "A-Alexis?" I asked. "Yes, it's me." she said, she looked covered in blood, her brown hair tangled, and her clothes disheveled.
    "Where have you BEEN?" I said, skipping over relief and sinking into anger. "Not only has our soul not been able to pull together without you, we were worried that you've been dragged off by the Strays! Then you could've faded away....." I said and she glared at me. "I was running from them the whole time! Couldn't bother to come back to the Dark Room, they'd only catch me there!" Alexis growled, turning away. "Your very fortunate to find me, but I can't let any of you fade away to save me. I'm an unwanted part that Alexis doesn't need. The whole would be better of without me."Alexis said, with no trace of bitterness or self-pity. Just a blank stare.
      "But your not-" I began, but she cut me off. "No. I'm better at hiding from the Strays. You'll forget about this, but try and be conscience again, one person." Alexis said, then with almost a flicker of emotion in her eyes. Surprisingly, she ran over me, and hugged me. "Forget..." she said in a hushed voice, and then I was standing behind Al and Lee, both of them dazed and confused looking as I was.

Lee
    
       "Wha...." I said, and trailed off, glancing at Adrian and Al. "Where did the Strays go... the chase seemed a little fuzzy to remember." I commented, and the others nodded.
       "They must have gone to another time period. Probably with Alexis. They could've done a memory block on us....." Al said. "So who knows what could have gone down." he said, his shirt splattered with black. "We should get back to the Dark Room and figure out where she could have be taken to next." Al continued. "But be-" "Careful." Adrian finished, rolling his eyes. Al didn't say anything, but with a sweeping chill, we were in the ever changing room that seemed to be made of shadows. Sandra was there, throwing darts at a dark board and looking rather bored, and Ecks decided to make an appearance. He smiled at soon as they got there, his violet t-shirt so bright it made my eyes hurt. Bright blonde hair that looked similar to Al's in style covered his head, and he pushed it back from his eyes.
     "You're back!" Ecks said. "Oh joyful day..." Sandra muttered right after that. "I just got back from the 1920. Ahh the Roaring 20's. Then I went to check in some African rainforests. Boy it was hot." Ecks blabbed. "Anything?" Adrian asked, cutting in. Ecks shook his head, beaming almost as brightly as his shirt. "Nope. Had a run in with a couple of snakes though. Ouch." he shuddered. "Well, we think that Alexis has been captured by Strays. We went to 1939, and found them running through a abandoned town, probably after Alexis. It couldn't be any other sorcerer, none of them are as crazy to split themselves into seven, with the Strays targeting them...." Al said and trailed off for a second, but then continued. "But we lost them. I think they put a memory block on us to make us forget where they went. But we can track them, because this memory black happens to be strong."
      "Wait....Strays can cast memory blocks?" Sandra asked, walking up. I shook my head, answering this one. "They can with a dark sorcerer's help, granting them the power to do that." I said. A very powerful one indeed, then..... 
         "We'll need al. s-six of us to track the Strays." Ecks said, stammering, and I could only guess why. It used to be seven.
         "I think we should capture one!" The suggestion burst out of my mouth before I could stop, and four sets of eyes stared at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment